Tuesday, August 30, 2011

What Are Your Talents?

So during today's meditation, we focused on "What Are Your Talents"? When you think back to when you were a kid, a teen, or a young adult what do you find yourself doing? What kind of activities did you enjoy?

For me, it was writing. I used to write all the time, and for a few years had hopes of being a journalist. When I was a senior in high school, I took journalism classes, wrote for the school newspaper, wrote for a local paper that was geared towards high school students, and wrote and submitted poetry. I even read some poetry at an open mic night once when in high school.

Throughout the years, I always revisit writing. I will come up with an idea for a novel, and start clacking away on the computer. After a few chapters, I either lose interest or don't know how to further the story. I have trouble continuing these projects and seeing them through to the end. So I scrap them. Yes, I actually delete my writing once I lose interest.

I've even joined National Novel Writing Month twice in the past ten years or so, but never complete it. After a month of writing, I just give up. I've joined and wrote articles for two different online magazines, but have publishing two or three articles I just get bored and quit. In my defense though, these were beauty related sites and that gets old really quick. Especially, after I decided to leave the beauty industry and pursue other paths.

The only thing I have been consistent in with my writing is blogging, and now my journaling. Okay, to be completely honest, I have blogged regularly for several years, but after a year or two of doing one blog, I move on to another blog with a different topic!

So now I have this idea for a book, and it is something I am researching, and wanting to bring into my life. So this book could be a great resource not only for the topic itself, but as a tale of my journey into it. Can I keep up with this and finish it? I have gotten some signs lately that I should be a writer. I've seen signs that I am meant to be a teacher, and I can teach through writing. I can write on the topics I'm interested in.

Is part of my path of serving and helping others to be a teacher through my writing? I think that is something I need to explore at least. Look out for my name coming to a book store shelf near you!

P.S. I know you are probably reading this and thinking "How can he be a writer, there are so many grammar and punctiation errors in this journal post?!! Ugghhhhh!!!!" Well, for all you word Nazis, when I journal I tend to not edit myself. I just basically word vomit in my journals, and let the words from freely from my thoughts. I do tend to edit my blog posts though! And certainly any official writing is edited before being submitted! So there!!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck. Find a love and see it through to the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always enjoyed your posts and never once thought "How could this person be a writer?". Are you scrapping your draft writings because you lose interest or because you're afraid that people will be critical of your writings? (The reason I ask is because of your comments right at the end) :)

    ReplyDelete